And just like that January is over! 2017 has been a maelstrom for most and we are just one month down. I hope the rest of the year picks up and we overcome this instability and chaos and have a positive and hopeful year. Tall order, but I would like to believe in it. I normally never make new year resolutions so I thought I’ll get creative and make a bunch of goals for myself for the year. I wanted to let January slide by and see how the first month unfolded. And unfolded and unraveled it did! I set 28 goals since I was posting in February.
- Practice gratitude every day. It may sound silly but when I’m having an off day and nothing goes my way, just thinking about blessings and all the opportunities I do have help.
- Re-establish routines. I love having plans and routines and although I usually end up throwing them out the window and winging it, I still need them to give me a sense of direction.
- Wake up half an hour earlier every day to enjoy the morning and not be rushed.
- Hydrate more! I have to consciously make an effort to drink more water especially now in winter.
- Cut out sugar. I know that’s going to be super hard but I’m going to try. Baby steps.
- Get to work sooner and not be rushing through breakfast to catch my train.
- Declutter. I have no idea how I end up accumulating stuff I don’t need. To paraphrase Marie Kondo’s basic principle, ‘If it doesn’t spark joy, junk it’.
- Unplug for 1 day. No phone, tv, internet. Should be easy. No really.
- Read more. Especially different genres and new authors.
- Write more. I am really lazy to sit and write but I have to keep developing that muscle.
- Meditate. Breathe. Decompress. Something we all need to do, amirite?
- Do one thing out of my comfort zone. I just did that in this post actually. I got adventurous and started sentences with ‘And’. But yeah something a little more outside of that.
- Learn something new. Better my French no pun intended, learn something new related to my work, get more creative.
- Workout more. Even on the worst days, if I can work out for 30 minutes I’ll be happy.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. It’s really not worth it. Like people using like a lot or not knowing the difference between your and you’re. But that was the old me.
- Practice more vegetarianism. As someone who can’t live without seafood and meat, I really want to start eating more greens and try out new recipes.
- Follow Dory’s wise words and ‘just keep swimming’. No matter the tide.
- Catch more Zzzs. I really really need to!
- Stop procrastinating. Ah, maybe later.
- Save more for a rainy day. It could rain any day and a gal’s gotta be prepared.
- Volunteer and do good in this world. Do one nice thing for someone else even if its not a big deal.
- Watch a little less TV and minimize browsing. News is overrated and there’s nothing good on, that gives you joy anyway unless its a dog or baby video.
- Get healthy. Focus on just continually getting fit and strong.
- Observe more. I think sometimes I just go through the motions of the day and don’t really pay attention to anything around me.
- Realize its ok to say No. Know the importance of saying Yes.
- Make new friends. Ok. Fine. New acquaintances at least. What? Its hard.
- Make time for my old friends. It is so important to stay in touch and genuinely be involved in their lives. Second family and all that.
- Be kinder to others. Now more than ever this is so important. And I got to remember to be kinder to myself too.
So there you are, my 28 resolutions for the year! Oh and as a bonus although its not a leap year here’s 29.
29. Stick to my 28!
Are there any here that resonate with you ? What are your goals or resolutions?