Another year bites the dust and what a crazy year it has been not just for me but for the world! My top 10 world events are-
- Leo finally got that Oscar. Wohoo!
- The US elected a new Prez and suddenly Canada got a lot of attention.
- The worst divorce in the history of all time, no not the one you are thinking. It’s Brexit…nuff said.
- Global Warming is a Real Thing! My city of Chennai, India was badly hit last December with floods leaving behind a trail of devastation. The city managed to bounce back beautifully only to be hit again this year by Cyclone Vardah bringing Chennai to a standstill and destroying hundreds of thousands of trees.
- Tamil Nadu lost one of its most prolific chief ministers of all time Dr. J. Jayalalitha fondly known as Amma.
- Terrorism – every single day that’s all we see when we turn on the news.
- We lost Snape aka Hans Gruber aka Alan Rickman. I loved him in all his movies but perhaps Harry Potter and Die Hard will always remain my favorites.
- Allepo – possibly the world’s worst refugee crisis since WW2. I’m ashamed to say I did not know much about it. We need more coverage on what is going on in other parts of the world.
- Turkey – Failed to launch a coup to overthrow the government. Is there anywhere in the world we can travel to without fear?
- Pokemon Go – What on earth was this craze about? Masquerading as an educational and weight loss application indeed! I understand kids wanting to run around without any regard for bumping into people trying to capture those objects or whatever but grown a$$ adults doing the same thing while crossing the street is downright ridiculous not to mention dangerous.
What are your top 2016 world events?